Sunday, June 08, 2008

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I read The Book Thief for a knitters' book club which seems to have vanished into the ether where deleted blogs go. The group now has a new life on Ravelry, so I still have an outlet for combining reading and my favorite craft....

Like a lot of readers on my newest obsession(GoodReads), I was originally skeptical about reading a YA book. Some of them just cannot hold my interest for very long. This book (not to mention this well-known series) is the rather notable exception.

I actually enjoyed the story very much, and Death intrigued me in his "job" as narrator. Aside from The Diary of Anne Frank, I have not come across many stories about the Holocaust that are really suitable for younger readers. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for an intriguing take on that period.

No comments: